Divorce and Children
This seminar will focus on high impact divorce and, specifically, how it affects the children living through it.
Schedule date for this seminar – TBA!
Children from divorce are 2x as likely to divorce. Many contributing factors! 66% of the increased risk of divorce is attributed to children living thru the parental experience of divorce. (Brian D’Onofrio, Indiana University Bloomington).
WHAT IS A HIGH – CONFLICT DIVORCE?
- 8 to 15% of Divorcing couple s continue to engage in Conflict with little reduction in the intensity of their feelings.
- These extreme cases place great stress on children.
- Parents locked in bitter, entrenched struggles, unable to stay together yet unable to separate emotionally.
- Parents Persistently antagonize, accuse, rage against and attack each other.
- Families of high-conflict divorce usually do not seek help voluntarily.
- Change is difficult for most, but High conflict families it is extra-ordinarily difficult and old patterns of relating are clung to.
EFFECT OF HIGH CONFLICT CHILDREN
- Impact on children devastating, traumatic & extremely stressful!
- The level & Intensity of conflict between parents during marriage is indicative of Post divorce hostility and distress & it is the most significant factor in adjustment following divorce
- Conduct Disorders, Antisocial Behaviors, difficulty with peers & authority figures, depression & academic and achievement problems: are all symptoms children may experience!
- High Intensity fighting is associated with-Insecure attachments and anxiety in infants and toddlers
- Severity of conflicts has the largest, most consistent impact on children’s adjustment, with Intense conflict leading to more Externalizing and Internalizing of emotions and behaviors
- Overtly Hostile styles : Violent, hitting etc, leads to externalizing and internalizing behavior of children where more passive aggressive behavior of parents leads to internalizing symptoms of child).
Contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you and helping to mitigate the negative effects of this change for you and your family!